Wednesday, July 8, 2026

Amur Maple

The plan was to replace the Amur Maple
this year, an order had been placed
at the greenhouse.

This spring the Amur Maple looked 
really good ~ in fact too good.


In 2000, this little sprig was planted.
I wrote about in 2010.


A Child and A Tree

A little girl, in first grade, one day brought home a sapling well
pretty much a stick. We were to plant it in the ground. It is a good
thing that it came home with instructions -- when you have
young children in the house it is always busy. So after the stick stayed
on the counter for awhile with a wet brown paper towel and a baggy
wrapped around it we got it planted.
The paperwork (which I still have) indicated that the trees were
donated by MANTRAP VALLEY CONSERVATION AUXILIARY -
a local group.
Tree --- Amur Maple
Height --- 15' to 20'
Foliage --- glossy dark green, variably
yellow, orange or red in the fall
A slow growing small tree or large shrub native to
Northern China. May be pruned to a single stem which
is seldom straight. Very Hardy...

Fall of 2010
This poem also came home with the sapling --
CHILD AND TREE
Please let this tiny seedling show the years your child's in school.
They both develop quite the same; it's part of nature's rule.
Plant it firmly in the ground, with sun, and room to grow.
Give support while it is young; it must grow straight, you know.
Feed it wisely, not too much, and watch it weather storms.
If given freedom in good soil, a lovely shape it forms.
The same is true of children, you cannot push or shove;
Just understand and gently guide, and show how much you love.
It's true your patience will be tried when progress seems too slow;
Yet tree and child are gaining strength though outward signs don't show
And pray to God to help you in your handling child and tree--
A dozen years from now you'll be so pleased with what you see.

September 2010
Ten years later and now a senior in high school --
I came across this little tidbit as I've been working on
daughters' scrapbooks - what a little treasure.

---------------
Now, another 16 years look at it (not too
bad).   The branches are all over, some are
broken and trimmed and some hang low
bothering the guy that mows.  But overall,
it looks pretty darn good and the birds
like it right next to the birdfeeders.

Now 26 years old.
-----------
So now the rest of the story....

The new replacement Amur Maple arrived
and it took some time to decide where
to plant it. 

One day I was mowing around the old
Amur Maple and the Peony garden and
I stopped.    Behind the Peony garden
lining the woods area is this brush or
bushes....  I don't recall them changing
color but I pull out my cellphone to ID
the bush....  Yep behind the Peony garden,
the edge of woods is covered with
Amur Maples. 

So it was decided that a replacement in
that location wouldn't really be needed.

The new Amur Maple found a nice
place on the other side of the yard with
hopes that many bushes will eventually
start (that may help with blocking 
blowing snow in the winter -- eventually).


I hope this Amur Maple likes its' new spot.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a fun history of that special tree! They are so pretty in the Fall!